Tuesday, May 7, 2013

I wish I could believe in something called GOD!

Disclaimer: This blog is not meant to defame GOD or disrespect any who believe in HIM. These are strictly my opinion.

I was once a believer in GOD. Actually, I wont call myself a believer as I thought of HIM as per my convenience, mostly when I was in trouble ;). But I never had anything against him. I had a good equation with HIM, a convenient one.

And then Life started unfolding...bit by bit...and my "so-called" belief in HIM started fading. I would contribute it partly to my atheist husband. My relation with God saw its phases from believing --> to hating --> to don't care --> to non-believing and now you can, very well, call me an atheist!
But there are days when I miss believing in some external entity, lets say God. I miss believing "blindly" on something as it has its own advantages. If I would be believer I would have done the following:
If something bad happens:
    - God why did you do this to me?
    - God will set it all right.
    - I must have done something wrong to deserve this.
If you do some mistake:
    - I am sorry God, please forgive me. Seek solace in Him.
If you are happy/achieved something
    - Thanks you God! Its all because of your blessings.

Be it happiness, victory, loss, sadness, guilt... Be it any emotion and you have something/someone to share it with. You alone are not responsible for your life. This also comes with fear of HIM, secretly forcing you to tame the animal in us and hopefully to do whats right.

I see so many believers going through bad times in their life and still saying with a calm face "God will set it right". Boss! At times, I envy such blind faith and strength that they derive from it! Total respect!

As for an atheist, the poor chap (by choice), he has to draw all the strength from within as he has held himself responsible to overcome/face/enjoy all the emotions alone.
There are no complaints when things are good. But as sadness strikes, he must draw courage to face it and eventually (now that's the hard part) find "hope" too. When he makes mistakes, he has to be the whole and sole bearer of guilt. He has no one to say sorry to and ask for forgiveness. He must forgive himself, which by the way is not easy as it seems/sounds. He must always keep up his antenna and should be honestly able to judge whats right and wrong as no fear is driving his actions (except of loved ones).
This affair can get really taxing and I at times I secretly wish if I could "blindly" share responsibility of my life with an "Almighty" like entity.

But is this enticing enough to make me a believer in HIM? I don't think so! Being an atheist is making me stronger than ever. YES, I make mistakes but I learn, learn, I always learn and I will keep learning. I am responsible for all my mistakes and hence I am the only person responsible to set it right. My sadness is only mine to have and hence I must find the happiness from within to overcome it. And my victory, my happiness, I don't need to share or attribute it to someone. Not a bad deal I say! What say you?

P.S. Its my way of life and my opinion. No pun intended.

9 comments:

  1. Nicely written Komal! In many respects, I too echo your thoughts... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No one - believer or non-believer, can defy this article Komal! Great job in writing your thoughts so beautifully. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nicely written !!! I could relate to everything you have written.

    I loved the last part of the the blog the most where you have said that "Being an atheist has made you stronger" !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Komal, Can I share my take? :)

    No longer having a 'heavenly father' (I was a Christian) looking after you took me while to get used to, after I lost my faith. If we actually had someone like that, wouldn't it be awesome?

    But I came to realize that I'd rather live in reality and deal with reality. If there is no 'heavenly father', then acting like there is one is a bad idea.

    Having an invisible friend may be a harmless idea in some ways. The solace one gets from this friend may even be great. The problem is that the invisible friend comes with some baggage. (Exactly what that is depends on what kind of friend this is; but there is always some baggage.)

    In the long run, we are better off finding good reasons for doing good; good reasons and ways for finding solace and happiness rather than imaginary ones. It is good to know that solutions for problems are not going to miraculously appear; one has to go find them...

    Good luck as you find your way through this!

    Cheers
    Manoj

    ReplyDelete
  5. :) I wouldn't want to qualify myself as an atheist or a believer in god.
    I do not want to think of Hindu god's as all forgiving, pious, Sane figures. who will take care of everything
    On the other hand i would love to believe that someone like "them" existed and still exist as acts, as actions as what we do.
    and I would love to believe that whatever is happening has happened before. take the message from those stories positively.
    I would love to believe that we must show gratitude towards the soil and money (laxmi), towards environment (prakriti, parvati, towards working (karma, Vishnu) towards being fearless, and boundaryless (Shiv) i would understand if someone i know has fear of loosing his post (Indra) but in the end... all are but human's not gods. Indian mythology never says... that shankar parvati didn't have fights...they did!! and hence i love them.
    but if you are talking about doing 16 somwar vrat to have good husband...trust me i will laugh it out
    if i fail...it's my fault, not gods. we can't share responsibility...for success or failure But gratitude towards people around us...doesn't hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ur journey from a believer/ follower of God to an atheist might have all the good reasons for the digression (n I admire your writing and thoughts for the same).. however one need not enter into a blame game always for ones own karmas. I myself have questioned His existence at times, however, I do still believe in THAT EXTERNAL ENERGY or STRENGTH you know... that energy which aligns you to your life..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bhagvad Gita padho.. sabke answers milenge.. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey !!

    I read two things. First your blog and probably I could relate to what's going on in your mind.

    Then I read your About me section .. and I felt that i want to tell you is exactly what you have already written there. Yes, now you will go there read it one more time and feel good :) , I hope .

    one more thing ...
    Dilon me tum apni betabiyan leke chal rahe ho,to zinda ho tum

    Ah, no Fundas .... I dont generally give them. Lekin tune likha hain toh socha ek de hi deta hoon ... kya pata kaam aa jaye ....

    You need to believe in something ... if you are having problems with God somehow, try someone else ... You may want to Believe in Yourself. That's the best possible choice you have :).

    Best,
    Amby

    ReplyDelete