Monday, August 12, 2013

Your children are not your children

I was introduced to this amazing book by a dear friend when I needed it the most. Its called "The Road Less Travelled" by M. Scott Peck. Its one beautiful book and talks about many aspects of life. The more I am reading it, the more its becoming the source of guidance for me, my bible.
There is no mushiness about this book, just facts! Let me stop here as I am in awe of this book and can keep going on and on about it. Just to summarize, imagine, you start reading that book and the first line says "Life is difficult".

Anyways, in various chapters the various aspects and impacts of parents-child relationship are thoroughly discussed. I am not a parent yet but I do aspire to be one and when I would be one, may this book be the guiding force for me.
At one such place in the book is this beautiful poem which I had this dire need to capture and share with you guys, for all Parents and for all Parents to be.

Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.

You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow, which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.
You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite, and
 He bends you with His might that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;
For even as He loves the arrow that flies, so He loves also the bow that is stable.

- The Prophet

2 comments:

  1. Nice poem.... very factual in a melancholic way....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent poem.
    And though it indeed sounds melancholy...but I have accepted these facts of life to move on in search of the other meaningful facts which one must discover to get insights that would help to lead every phase of life with love and passion.Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete